Jan 3, 2013

Gaint Granny Patch Blanket - Ta-daah!!

Hello my LOVELY people!

Wishing you all a fantastic New Year 2013 and hoping it will be filled with love, health and lots of crafty adventures.

I have something very special to show you guys today. After drooling over all the yummy pictures and posts of the famous StyleCraft DK yarn i gave in to temptation and ordered my first batch of this gorgeous yarn. You can read more about yarn info HERE.


Well i started this blanket way back in Sept 2012. Greatly inspired by Sandra of Cherry Heart's - Gaint Granny Patches. It was love at first sight. I knew i had to had to make something on the similar lines.. But the problem was i cannot have such a huge project on the move. Her's was a join-as-you-go one, which was an absolute no-no for me.. Had spent a few weeks in gathering up courage to do these small squares and later on join them - I though i will cross the bridge when it comes..and i gave birth to 2 kids normally, this can't be harder than that (yes, that's my yardstick now..he he) Thus began the journey of hooking my grannies..They grew from 1 to 100's. I sneaked in a few before meal-times, during nap-times, in-between cooking meals and stealing precious hours when everyone was asleep..

 They grew and grew and i finally had 672 squares! Mind you, i could have finished the blanket by now..But no, being me had to make things difficult. Then started the entire process of arranging the squares and joining them. With 18 colors to choose from this is not an easy task. I m not so much of a random fan and also i wanted an equal spread of the dark maroons and reds with the lighter pinks and blues and peaches..So i packaged the squares into 28 packets of 24 squares each..yes i am really happy i had a Degree in Engineering!!

..and then the joining began..

This was a slow task but it was TOTALLY worth it, i could plan and change as much as i wanted and also this is the ONLY way i could get this blanket done with 2 small kids and an even smaller house!!

I am feeling specially pleased and excited to show you the reveal..
Here you go...
..

Gaint Granny Patch Blanket Ta-daaah!!





Especially happy with the border. Used the design from 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton.
The block is Chocolate Box and I ended up just hooking the thin and thick rows as many times as i wanted.

 Palate of colors..

 Yours truly, trying to click a snap in the garden @ my apartment - onlookers thinking i am a crazy lady!
This makes my heart skip a beat..The back of the blanket! Maybe i like this more than the front..
I truly can't believe i had it in my to complete such a huge task..




Here's a look at some info you guys may wish to know:

Yarn : StyleCraft Special DK which can be ordered HERE. They provide the best and fastest delivery world-wide.
Colors :
From top left corner:

1.White - 1001
2. Turquoise - 1068
3.Clematis - 1390
4.Saffron - 1081
5.Shrimp - 1132
6.Fondant - 1241
7.Apricot - 1026
8.Lipstick - 1246
9. White again..
10.Mocha - 1064
11.Aspen - 1422
12.Plum - 1061
13.Meadow - 1065
14.Cloud Blue - 1019
15.Claret - 1123

Apart from these 14 colors i also added some metallic shades and 2 more:

1.Copper - 1029
2.Silver - 1203
3.Pale Rose - 1080
4.Spring Green - 1316

Totally 17 colors - one ball of 100g each and 5 whites 5x100g + 4 shades for the border = approx 2300gms.

Hook Size - 4.00 mm
Square Size : 2.5 x 2,5" / 6 x 6 cm
Square Pattern : Granny Square in 3 rounds. In case you need a TUTORIAL i used a very good one from Heather of Little Tin Bird.
Number of Squares: 672 - 28 rows of 24 squares each
Joining Method : Using SC - a tutorial with lots of pictures from Lucy of Attic24 HERE.
Border: Design from 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton.The block is Chocolate Box. 3" in thickness.
Blanket Size: 67 x 77 " / 170 x 195 cms
Ravelry Page Link HERE

 My labor of love, works best on the loved ones!!

It drapes over my bed and would be a comfort fit even for a king-size bed.


Me : Totally, utterly, jumpingly HAPPY!!!

When i began this journey i never thought i would get here, but yes 4 months and i am through it..It has been amazingly satisfying and comforting.

Loved sharing this with you guys, my special people... Do let me know what you think of this blanket. Also i have tried to give as much info as possible, still you need anything more, feel free to pop in and ask away..

Leaving you with a melody of pictures.


Have a great crafty year ahead..
Lots of love,
xxx



50 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I am so envious. I have started buying the yarn to make one for my kingsize bed. I'm buying the yarn bit by bit so it will be later before I get started, especially since I have several projects ahead of it. Lovely job and you have every right to be really, really proud.

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That is one grand blanket. I just LOVE the border. Kudos to you for getting it done. I am not sure I have that kind of patience, I am always flitting between various projects. :)
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simply awesome and I could read your excitement in every word of yours. I am sure your heart was beating fast while writing this post. Mine does, when I am super excited about sharing a project! ;)
    This was a hurculean task, indeed, which you did beautifully!
    I am also working on a scarf with join as you go tech, and I know its a little tedious. The scarf was supposed to be finished by Christmas but I am still half way. But this is how we all work!
    Loved all the colors and pictures! Enjoy and take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, yes indeed i was nervous and had 2 cups of coffee while i composed this post..ha ha.. Its great to have WIP's keeps my mind ticking and moods in check..Lovely blog and congrats on the feature in Petals to Picots :)

      Loveeeeeeeee

      Delete
    2. Oh my stars this is so gorgous.
      Your colors and even stitching is just awesome. Well done I could look at it all day and must try to make one. It looks like a patchwork blanket from material but I love it so much more because you made it all by hand with crochet.It is stunning,
      Hope I learn how to put it together and will be looking for that gorgeous yarn.
      Thanks for sharing this with us .

      Delete
  4. Aw, Rajeshwari! That's a huge job you've done! Absolutely stunning blanket now! Love how it covers the entire bed and more! Very very beautifully done!Congrats!
    I'm definitely making a blanket too, may be a smaller one, but...!
    Awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Anna. Everyone must do a blanket!

      Delete
  5. WOW that is one awesome blanket!
    I adore the palette you've put together with the stylecraft, very inspiring indeed ♥
    Happy New year, wihsing you lots of snugglesome moments!
    Lucexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton dear Lucy and more for all the inspiration
      Lovee...

      Delete
  6. Wow, you did a FANTASTIC job! Love your colours (have to admit am a bit in a love/hate situation with mine at the moment) and how the blanket turned out. Sooooo lovely.

    I'm at 582 squares at the moment. Laid the blanket out on my bed (180cmx200cm) and it looks oh so lost. So I will not be finished very soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Maree, it was great to have company while working on this blanket..am sure you will grow to only love your blanket and forget all the hate.. there were times when even i had given up on color placements as it is a little too many shades..but guess in the end anyway it will look lovely :)

      582 and more to go...waiting for your blanket's Ta-daah!!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, what a beauty to start the year with, great job!! And thank you for the info on the yarn! I've also ordered Stylecraft DK some time ago and right now I'm working on a small blanket, using only seven colors. I have to check out which of your colors are missing in my stash and order them - this color-combo is awesome!!

    Hugs,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, the colors worked well i think because of the dull shades thrown in:) Waiting for your blanket reveal !

      Love,
      xxx

      Delete
  8. Hi Rajeshwari

    Happy New Year to you. You have completed a mamoth task. No jokes making 600 plus squares and putting them together. All this with managing home and small kids. Great. Congratulations. Playing with so many shades must have been fun. I liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Rajeswari for achieving this feat! :) it is an awesome work inspiring patience and creativity both:) love the border too and the pictures are great :) worth being crazy(as you said others might think) to take pictures in the garden. Does 100% justice to your hardwork.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That blanket is amazing you must be so chuffed :o) I love it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh well done it's absolutely gorgeous and huge!! I think I like both sides, you could definitely use both ways. Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i like the back more as it took more effort :)

      Delete
  12. Thank you all my dear lovelies for such kind and encouraging words!! It totally made my day:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing blanket!!! congratulations. It is an heirloom piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the photos in the grass. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I'm at a loss of words. What a work!! Really great job, I loove your blanket ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there

    oh! my goodness that certainly is a labor of love.....what a mammoth task. I don't even want to think of all the ends you've had to thread in...but just look at the results.....impressive.
    Beautiful colour and very effective finishing touch by doing that border.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic. Congrats on completing this giant project. I went thru all your posts on the progress of this project and am delighted to see the reward in the end. I am sure your entire family must be very proud of this posession.
    I live in Bangalore and am into crocheting mainly purses and bags. I would like to know how you plan to use the Laura Cotton yarn. Can it be used for a project like yours ? Would it be too heavy ? also when you use dark colors how do you ensure that the colour does not run?
    Regards
    Meena K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meena for visiting my space! I too use a lot of Laura Cotton as that is the only thick cotton available in India. But i mainly hook purses, bags, home decors or dress embellishments with it. The store owner of Laura Cotton suggested i dry-clean the items hooked with Laura Cotton in case the colors run. So i normally give to to the cleaners.

      Whether we can use Laura for making a blanket..hmm..i am really not sure, but think it would be good as its hot in most parts of India. But i am guessing it would be very heavy as even a 50gm ball has quite a less yard-age..Why don't you try Vardaman Yarn itself for blankets?

      Thanks for popping by and have a nice day ahead!
      Love,
      xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for the response. I am sure I will get lots of ideas from your blog about using the Laura cotton yarn. Blr is hot right now - 32 deg. C. So I don't dare to start anything that will make it hotter!

      Regards
      Meena K

      Delete
  18. Oh, it's so wonderful! You left a comment on my blog and I just had to come over and see for myself. I love that your blanket has some of the softer pinks in, it just looks so gorgeous all finished and draping over your bed like that. 'Draping' see how wonderfully huge you've made it!! What a lot of work and joining them all afterwards too is practically heroic! Well done you and thanks so much for the shout out too :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandra for visiting my space and leaving such sweet words! I had to use pink else my girl will not get under it :)

      Looking for inspiration always from you..
      Love...XXX

      Delete
  19. I've made a few of these types of blankets over the years & always love making them & love the finished afghan too. They are fabulous stash busters, too. I can't believe how organized you are with all the color names!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am currently working on this exact same pattern! Yours has turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am currently working on this exact same blanket! Yours has turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful work! You deserve the Liebster blog award. Please visit http://gardenchefsneedleandpen.blogspot.com/2013/01/gardenchef-gets-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. **GULP** That looks amazing!! Beautiful! I have been thinking about making one of these for myself... and now I know I should... :-)
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  24. tip from annemarie's haakblog

    wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww this is great ♥♥♥♥

    greetz jenneke

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just saw the picture of your blanket at Link your Stuff...wow this is awesome!!! I am just making a tiny little granny square blanket for my daughters doll...cannot imagine to do this with over 600 grannies!!
    Looks fantastic!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wat een prachtige deken heb je gemaakt. Een hele klus.

    Groeten, Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is gorgeous!! I saw it on Annemarie's Crochet Blog. I have such admiration for people like you who have the patience to take on such large and involved projects. Well done! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning work, and I totally agree, Sandra is an inspiring lady. Just 4 months too for such neat work, and you didn't stop at a single size either! On my blogroll now :D Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! Sandra's projects are all must do's :)!

      Delete
  29. there's nothing more to say...:-)
    you will enjoy this blanket for the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow!! This is a work of art, Rajeswari! One of the prettiest blankets I've ever seen. It will be a family heirloom one day. Great job and thank you for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello from Belgium, dear Rajeswari !

    I just discovered your beautiful blog, and I'm in awe with your gorgeous work... Being an avid quilter, I'm loving to crochet as well (which I learned long ago with my grandmother) and that lovely giant granny blanket, and now I'm beginning that lovely Giant Granny Blanket - just couldn't resit ;>)
    May I ask a question, please : when you're joining the squares together, which color are you using ? There are so many different colors ! THANKS a lot for your kind answer, dear. I will definitely come back to visit you, as I really like your blog. THANKS also for the inspiration !

    Smiles from my little corner of the world,
    XOXOXOXO
    NADINE

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rajeswari today I am going thru your blog and fell in love with your blankets. You have tempted me to start one for my bed. I will be showing you my start soon. thanks for being my inspiration.

    www.shamiatcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fell in love with your blankets and tempted to start a big one soon.

    www.shamiatcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow ...that is just amazing. I'm trying to finish my itsy-bitsy ripple blanket and it seems like a never ending project...I just from one project to another too much I think. But I have to say your blanket is an inspiration. I have a plan now to finish mine and when I do I am going to make one like this one for my bed.... So inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete

I am comment friendly! Would love to hear from you guys:)